Guide to letting a holiday home

To make your property as comfortable as possible to attract reoccurring visitors year after after, here are some tips to help you along the way:

  • Cleanliness - make sure your property is inviting and not too cluttered. Items to add to your property - iron and ironing board, hoover, mop and bucket, cleaning products, sponges etc.
  • Warm and cosy - make sure the heating and water system is in good working order - consider a policy with a utility provider to cover you in case the heating system breaks down
  • Fresh linen - including duvets, pillows, towels, bed linen (always have at least two sets of bed linen and towels)
  • Accessibility - the property needs to show a willingness to accommodate all people, consider stair gates, cots, accepting guide dogs as well as all dogs, as they too enjoy a family holiday!
  • Essentials - hairdryer, pots and pans, crockery, cutlery, utensils, bottle opener etc
  • Wood, fire lighters, paper for any open fire/ wood burner
  • Safety - carbon monoxide alarms, smoke alarms, fire blankets and extinguisher.
  • Furnishings - make sure all large items are compliant with the Fire Safety and Furnishing Act and that you still have the fire safety label attached

On a personal note try adding:

  • Fresh flowers or a welcome hamper
  • Books
  • Games for the children
  • If pet friendly a treat for the dog!
  • A fact file to include nearby attractions, restaurants, walks, beaches, events and adding manuals or tips on how to live in your home.

Make sure you comply with all legislation and notify your mortgage provider and home insurance. You will also need to make sure all utility bills are forwarded to your correspondence address and notify the Council of the change of use.

Other safety measures you will need to comply with are:

  • Annual gas safety certificate
  • Annual electrical safety certificates (PAT testing)
  • Gardening and window cleaning on a regular basis
  • Wood burners or open fire to be swept annually and serviced by a HEATAS engineer

Guide to letting long term

Once you have chosen Baileys to market your property to find suitable tenants, you will need to provide the following:

  • Energy Performance Certificate - legally required and is valid for 10 years. We can check the registrar to confirm if you have a current certificate.
  • Gas Safety Certificate - legally required and needs to be renewed annually
  • Electrical Safety Certificate - complete every 5 years and we suggest to have this certificated to comply with your insurance. PAT testing for any free standing electrical items conducted yearly. Recommended to electrically test any night storage heaters, especially if this is the only source for heating.
  • Wood burner/ Open Fire - swept at the beginning of a tenancy and a copy of the invoice/ certificate required. Any wood burner installed after 2010 will need a HEATAS engineer to service the unit yearly.
  • Oil Tank - service yearly, especially if this is the only source of heating.
  • Carbon Monoxide Alarms and Smoke Alarms - need to be installed to each floor of the property and can be mains operated or battery powered, but must be tested before any tenants moves into a property.
  • Legionnaires Disease Report- a completed report by either the landlord or a contractor before a tenant moves into the property and conducted every 2 years during a break in tenants in residence.
  • Carpets cleaned - retain any invoices and we can request the tenants to continue with the cycle of cleaning the carpets
  • Cleanliness to the property - make sure you have thoroughly cleaned the property, especially the windows and rid of any dirt/ mould. Make the garden area good and rid of any waste from the bins. All this will help to make sure the inventory conducted at the beginning of the property shows it in the best light, so upon the tenants vacating they have this document to adhered too.

For further information, please contact us on 01263 513399 or email